How to Get Legal Help

Need legal help?

  1. Contact us and leave a message anytime. Call 1-800-889-2047 or fill out our Legal Help Request Form.

We will call you back during regular business hours as soon as we can.

Be sure to tell us your phone number and the best time to reach you. When you leave a message or use the online form:

  • Tell us your name and phone number.
  • Tell us the safest way to reach you and whether we can leave a message or send an email.
  • Tell us the best time to reach you. We make callbacks from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.
  • Give us a short description of the problem. Let us know if it’s an emergency.
  • Let us know if you received paperwork or court papers and what the dates are on those documents.
  • Keep those documents nearby so we can talk about them when we call you back.
We may not be able to call you back right away, so don't wait until the last minute to call us about an emergency!
  1. Visit our legal help website at

The website also lets you connect with us to ask for help. It answers questions about Vermont law, your rights and how to solve your legal problem. It includes court forms and information about Vermont courts and court procedures. was created by and is maintained by Legal Services Vermont and Vermont Legal Aid.

LSV and VLA logos

Other Resources

  • View a list of other legal clinics and projects around Vermont on the Vermont Bar Association (VBA) website. See the link at the top of this VBA web page.
  • The Vermont Law School in South Royalton and Burlington has a legal clinic that helps many Vermonters, particularly in Orange and Windsor Counties, and also statewide immigration cases. Call 802-763-7718 or find out more about the South Royalton Legal Clinic.
  • Ask legal questions online through Vermont’s Free Legal Answers program. 
  • Disability Rights Vermont works to defend and advance the rights of people with disabilities and mental health issues. Call them at 1-800-834-7890.
  • ACLU of Vermont works to protect the constitutional rights of all Vermonters. Call them at 802-223-6304.
  • The Vermont Attorney General is the chief law enforcement officer in the state.
  • The Consumer Assistance Program is sponsored by the Vermont Attorney General and the University of Vermont. They help people with problems with goods or services they purchased and provide information about consumer rights and responsibilities. Call them at 1-800-649-2424.